Lower School Arts
In art classes at Calvary Day School, students have the opportunity to explore the creativity that God has put within them through a variety of hands-on projects. Students work on drawing, painting, sculpture, and design skills using a variety of media and methods. Diverse subjects and themes are introduced to create an interesting and exciting art experience. Projects are based on God's creation, subjects that may be of personal interest to students, and integration of themes from core classes.
Students compete in the following competitions:
- Carolina Classic Fair
- ACSI Arts Festival
- Forsyth County Library Bookmark Contest
Beginning in Kindergarten, we work to become musical in three ways:
- Tuneful - to have tunes in their heads and learn to use their voices to sing those tunes
- Beatful - to feel the pulse of music and how that pulse is grouped into twos or threes.
- Artful - to respond expressively to music and enjoy being moved by it.
As we become tuneful, beatful and artful musicians, we begin to add rhythmic notation in 1st and 2nd grade, pitch notation in 3rd grade, and connecting music and our world in 3rd-6th grade.
We use a variety of games, movement activities, vocabulary, songs, and instruments to accomplish these goals. Below are some unit highlights from each grade level.
- Kindergarten: steady beat, high/low, fast/slow, loud/quiet
- 1st Grade: introduction of rhythmic notation, barred instruments
- 2nd Grade: introduction of solfege, form
- 3rd Grade: introduction to music reading, folk dance, canon/rounds
- 4th Grade: recorder, partner songs
- 5th Grade: tone chimes, found sounds, syncopation
- 6th Grade: Beginning Band - Foundational Basics
In all that we do, we recognize that music is a gift from God.
It's given to us to help us enjoy life, have fun, find beauty in this world, and in praise and worship of Him. Throughout the year, we have multiple opportunities in chapel and various programs to share this great gift and the talents He has given us with others. 4th - 6th grade students can also use their talents in our lower school chorus program.